If there was ever any question whether the November elections would be the most important of our lifetime, Justice Kennedy’s retirement from the Supreme Court should remove all doubt. In 2017, Mitch McConnell held up President Obama’s nomination of moderate, yet brilliant, Jurist Merrick Garland for over 8 months on the ground that the American people should have a say in that Supreme Court appointment. In a raw power grab, Republicans in the Senate effectively took away 10 months of President Obama’s constitutional power to appoint judges.
Now, Trump and the same Republican Senate leaders want to push through a nominee four months before an election that could, and should, toss them out of power. Instead, they want to allow the subject of a criminal investigation to pick his own judge: The Supreme Court may well be called upon to rule whether Trump must testify before a Grand Jury, respond to subpoenas for documents, or pardon himself and others with whom he has conspired to obstruct justice.
At the state level, our midterm elections have never been more important. Republicans would like to call a Constitutional Convention that could change the government permanently. This can only be done with an agreement by state legislatures — we must elect Democrats to the Arizona State legislature to stop the radical, unprecedented notion of a Constitutional Convention.
Republicans want corporations to run not only our prisons but also our schools — for profit rather than for the public good. They would turn our country into a kleptocracy where Scott Pruitt’s behavior would be the norm for public officials and our tax-dollars would flow continuously to Trump Industries and DeVos family ventures.
There’s never been a more important moment to show you stand with Democrats. These midterm elections will be the most important of our lifetimes — unless we lose and then the last election will have been the most important. Then the country will be radically changed forever.
- If you believe immigrant families belong together, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe in a woman’s right to choose and a worker’s right to bargain, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe health care is a right for all, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe a Muslim ban is fundamentally un-American, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe in full equality for LGBTQ people in all areas of our society, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe Dreamers should be able to stay and contribute to the only country they call home, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe climate change is an urgent threat to our economy, our environment, and our children’s future, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe our leaders should put people before corporations, help elect Democrats in November.
- If you believe we should make it easier for people to vote, not harder, help elect Democrats in November.
Elections have consequences. The last Supreme Court vacancy was brazenly stolen by shameless Republican leaders with no respect for American democracy. We cannot let that happen again. This November, you won’t just be deciding the next Congress or the next Governor or the next State Legislature — though you will be deciding all of those — you will be deciding the direction America goes in for the next half-century.
If the last year and a half have made you angry, there’s something you can do right now: Commit to supporting your local Democratic Party as we work to elect Democrats up and down the ballot.