- This event has passed.
Meeting to Nominate Candidates for Appointment to State Senate
January 4 @ 5:30 pm - 8:30 pm
The resignation of State Senator Jamescita Peshlakai triggers a statutory process by which the Coconino County Board of Supervisors will appoint someone to fill the vacancy. The first step in the process is for our LD7 Precinct Committee Members to nominate three qualified candidates to the Board of Supervisors.
Nominees must meet all of these qualifications:
- Residents of Coconino County
- Residents of LD7
- Registered Democrats
- Age 25 at the time they take office (January 2022)
- Resident of Arizona for at least three years and of the county for at least one year
- Must not be an employee or other position of trust of the United States or the State of Arizona (with limited exceptions)
- May NOT hold any other office or be otherwise employed by the state of Arizona or, any county or incorporated city or town thereof. This prohibition shall not extend to the office of school trustee, nor to employment as a teacher or instructor in the public school system. (AZ Constitution, Article 4, part 2, section 5)
The new Senator must be a Democrat who is a resident of Coconino County and of Legislative District 7, as Peshlakai was, according to Arizona statute A.R.S. § 41-1202(A)(2). The appointee will serve out the latest term to which Peshlakai was elected in 2020 – through December 2022.
Nominations will be made at a meeting of Democratic Elected Precinct Committee Members on January 4 at 5:30 pm on Zoom. The PCs will nominate three qualified candidates to the Board of Supervisors. Appointed PCs and other members of the public are welcome to observe but will not be eligible to make nominations or to vote.
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 811 2773 8459
One tap mobile
+19292056099,,81127738459# US (New York)
+13017158592,,81127738459# US (Washington DC)
Qualified candidates should contact Ann Heitland, Chair of the Coconino County Democratic Party, for more information. We ask that potential nominees submit a one-page biography to Please include your email address and phone number.