- This event has passed.
Campaign Workshops: Electing Progressive Candidates and Winning on Issues
January 14, 2018 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
An event every week that begins at 1:00pm on Sunday, repeating until February 25, 2018
This six-day series of workshops (one per week) is geared to three groups of people:
- Those who want to work as a staff member or volunteer on an electoral campaign
- Those who want to work on an issue-based campaign or organizing drive
- Those who want to run for office themselves.
The workshops will provide participants the practical, hands-on tools needed for successful campaigns. The presentations will be based on the Wellstone Action organization’s training and will follow the Wellstone book, Politics the Wellstone Way: How to Elect Progressive Candidates and Win on Issues. Each participant will be given a copy of this book. Participants will also be given information and materials specific to Coconino County, City of Flagstaff, and Arizona Legislative elections.
The workshop will consist of six sessions covering different topics. Participants will be asked to work together in groups to develop a campaign plan for a candidate running for a local office and/or a legislative district and a ballot question campaign.
The following are the dates and times of the sessions:
- Session 1: Sunday, January 14th, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – Introduction and Preparing & Planning
- Session 2: Sunday, January 21st, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – Messaging and Communications
- Session 3: Sunday, January 28th, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – Field Organizing and Direct Voter Contact
- Session 4: Sunday, February 4th, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – Budget and Fundraising
- Session 5: Sunday, February 11th, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – GOTV and Winning on Issues
- Session 6: Sunday, February 25th, 1:00 pm to 4 pm – Presentation of Campaign Plans
The instructor, Patty Hansen, has successfully run for office herself and has worked as a staff member on statewide and congressional campaigns. She has also developed campaign plans and provided political targeting for senatorial, gubernatorial, legislative, county and city campaigns. Local Democratic elected officials will be sharing their knowledge and expertise, too.
There is a $25 registration fee for the entire series which will cover the costs of materials and the book. The fee may be waived for those that find it a financial hardship. Pre-registration is required. Start your registration by writing firstname.lastname@example.org or mailing a check with your name and contact info to Coconino County Democratic Party, POB 701, Flagstaff, AZ 86002.
All sessions will be held at the Coconino County Democratic Headquarters, Historic Ice House, 201 E Birch Ave, Suite 6, Flagstaff.
“The future will not belong to those who sit on the sidelines. The future will not belong to the cynics. The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
~ Paul Wellstone