- This event has passed.
Grijalva to Announce Plan to Permanently Protect Grand Canyon from Uranium Mining
February 23, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm
On February 23, Arizona Representative Raúl Grijalva will be joined by elected officials and community leaders to make an announcement about permanently protecting the Grand Canyon from new mining claims on public lands surrounding Grand Canyon National Park.
WHAT: Announcement by Rep. Grijalva, followed by public statements by tribal, city, and county officials, and nongovernmental organizations. Supporters will provide written comments for the press, and the Grand Canyon Trust will offer copies of its new report, “Uranium Mining in the Grand Canyon Region.”
WHERE: Mather Amphitheater, Grand Canyon National Park (just north of the visitor center and east of Mather Point Overlook)
WHEN: 2pm, Saturday, February 23, 2019
Dignitaries expected to attend:
- Raúl Grijalva, AZ Representative and Chairman, House Committee on Natural Resources
- Muriel Uqualla-Coochytewa, Chairwoman, Havasupai Tribal Council
- Jonathan Nez, President, Navajo Nation
- Clark Tenakhongva, Vice Chairman, Hopi Tribe
- Tom O’Halleran, AZ Representative, CD1
- Art Babbott, Chairman, Coconino County Board of Supervisors
- Coral Evans, Mayor, City of Flagstaff
- Ethan Aumack, Executive Director, Grand Canyon Trust