COCONINO COUNTY DEMOCRATS WITH DEMOCRATS OF THE RED ROCKS
PENDING FEDERAL LEGISLATION
For Senators Sinema and Kelly:
Support: S. 53 For an increase in the federal minimum wage eventually to $15 per hour.
Sen. Sinema: Call (202) 224-4521 (DC) or (602) 598-7327. Email via her website at
“http://www.sinema.senate.gov” Tag the Senator at @senatorsinema,
Sen. Mark Kelley: Call (202) 224-2235 (DC), Email via his website at http://www.kelly.senate.gov Tag the Senator at @senmarkkelly
For Representative O’Halleran:
Support: H.R. 1 For the People Act: To expand Americans’ access to the ballot box, reduce the influence of big money in politics, strengthen ethics rules for public servants, and implement other anti-corruption measures for the purpose of fortifying our democracy, and for other purposes. 4 of our 5 Democratic Party US Representatives are co sponsoring but not Rep. O’Halleran. Ask him to co sponsor and support.
Support: H.R. 4, the John Lewis Voting Rights Act: H.R. 4 would fix US Supreme Court case law gutting federal supervision of voting rights and would prevent reducing access to vote based on language, the reduction in polling locations in diverse areas and other anti voter measures.
Support: H.R.262 and H.R. 97 Prohibiting the imposition of the death penalty for any violation of Federal law, and for other purposes.
Rep. O’Halleran: Call (202) 225-3361 or send an email via his website at http://www.ohalleran.house.gov
Coconino County News
Fast moving info:
- Liz Archuleta, Supervisor for District 2, has resigned after 24 years to take the job of Director of Intergovernmental affairs for the USDA. Archuleta will be in charge of the SNAP program.
The BOS (Board of Supervisors) has opened her position to the people in District 2. Must be a Democrat and live in the district to be considered. Letters of intent with resumes will be received by the County Manager, Jim Jayne, with deadline of Wed, Feb 10th. The Board will review the apps on Thursday, the 11th and begin interviews on Friday, 12th.
Why so fast? The Board has its hands full between the Covid 19 virus and much more and needs a full board. The process will be as transparent as possible.
- Covid info: As more vaccines are becoming available, more sites are opening up quickly. Fort Tuthill for the county, Elks club for NA Health, North Country, Safeway and Frys and soon Walgreens. The registration process, while still somewhat cumbersome, has been updated: https://www.coconino.az.gov/2547/Vaccine-Info
- For Native Americans living off-reservation, use the link above
For Native Americans living on reservation, contact Tuba City, Kayenta, and other local clinics for registration for vaccine.
INDEPENDENT REDISTRICTING COMMISSION
The next meeting of the IRC is 9:00 am, Tuesday, February 9th. Here’s the agenda for Tuesday’s IRC meeting. The link for the meeting is in the agenda.
Written public comments of up to 3,000 characters will be allow for 30 minutes, at a time specified during the meeting, probably toward the beginning of the meeting. Here’s the link:
Though the Commission needs time to hire staff and update the website, we need to continue to encourage them to provide a 24/7 portal for public comments that allows uploading documents AND to provide the ability for the public to read all public comments.
Suggested public comments:
- Thank the Commission for assigning a time for public comments in each agenda, but also encourage the Commission to provide a 24/7 website form for public comments that subports submission of documents. Also, encourage the Commission to share public comments with the public.
- Request the Commission to clarify how the public will be able to communicate with the Commission.
- Encourage open communication and transparency.
- Suggestions for the IRC website, which is 20 years old and will be upgraded.
- The first hires will be an Executive Director and an Administrative Assistant. If you have suggested qualification criteria, please let them know.