Flagstaff City Council will have a work session on May 25, beginning at 3 pm, to have a community conversation about the Carbon Neutrality Plan. The agenda will be posted here in the week prior to the meeting.
This is our opportunity to reignite the energy and support we showed in January 2020, when we had 300 people and 3 hours of comments in support of declaring a climate emergency. We need your voice! If you are able to, please do the following:
- At least one hour before the meeting on 5/25 (which begins at 3 pm), send an email to with the following information. Note that if any of the following is unspecified in your email, it will be considered an emailed comment and you will not be called to provide a public comment: First and Last name, phone number, agenda item number (the Carbon Neutrality Plan Review and Community Conversation is agenda item #6).
- Be available beginning at 3 pm. When you are next in the queue for public comments, you will be called one time. If you do not answer, you will not be called again. If you are following the meeting on your computer (which you can do here), be aware of the delay and be sure to unmute your computer volume while you are speaking.
- Keep your comments positive!! See below for some thoughts that you might consider addressing. Comment periods are limited to 3 minutes maximum, so be brief and to the point.
Ideas for comments
- Keep it positive! Speak about the importance of showing leadership (remember that Tucson followed our lead soon after declaring a climate emergency); and focus on the benefits to you, to our community, and to the world.
- Emphasize the importance of adopting the Plan, without substantive changes, swiftly. The meeting for adoption is currently scheduled for June 15, and we do not want this to be delayed. Any delays in adoption could significantly impact the possibility of having it adopted at all. Remember what happened with the plastic bag ban? As soon as we were ready to adopt, the state legislature effectively banned the ban. It is a real possibility this could happen to our carbon neutrality plan as well.
You can also send an email to our city councilors quickly and easily at this link: https://actionnetwork.org/letters/flagstaff-we-need-your-support?source=direct_link&