Our legislators are clearly not representing all of us! Here’s some evidence:
- Arizonan’s support tougher gun control laws by an 8 to1 margin. Yet our legislators want to indemnify gun makers from any and all lawsuits.
- More than half of Arizonans support increasing unemployment benefits. Yet our legislators refuse to move a bill that would increase benefits so that we are not 49th in the nation and when unemployment stands at 6.9%.
- 92% of Arizonans agree that our public schools should have highly qualified teachers and principals. Yet our legislators refuse to fully fund education and are doing all they can to negate Prop 208 that passed in 2020 to support public education.
- 77% of Arizonans feel that voter registration should be automatic and 73% think ALL voters should be sent a mail-in ballot. Yet our legislators are determined to reduce voting options such as the length of the early voting period, pure voters from the PEVL and limit drop boxes.
Don’t get overwhelmed! Keep on fighting as best you can!!
Here is the contact information for our Legislators:
CONTACT THE GOVERNOR AS BILLS MOVE TO HIM TO SIGN
IT IS BEST TO CALL HIS OFFICE TO VOICE YOUR OPPOSITION – 602-542-4331.
IF YOU TWEET – SEND YOUR OPPOSITION VIA TWITTER – @DOUGDUCEY
(He hates to get Tweets it seems!!)
USE RESISTBOT as well:
- Click on “Messages” on your iphone
- Type in 504-09 and hit send
- Type in “Resist” and send
- Follow requests for information that appear
- Select the person you want to send a message to – legislator, governor, etc.
- Draft your message and hit send
- Resist bot takes care of the rest.
SB 1382 – OPPOSE – RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERSHIP – Would redefine firearms and ammunition as “essential businesses” and has now been amended to exempt the gun lobby from nearly all civil liability. Backed by the NRA it would mean the Arizonans will remain helpless to hold gun makers accountable for irresponsible practices. CONTACT LEGISLATORS
SB 1411 – SUPPORT – SAFETY NET – Would expand and maintain unemployment benefits to 26 weeks (if amended). CONTACT KAREN FANN!
HB 2462 – OPPOSE – CRIMINAL JUSTICE – Would force people to take extensive training (80 hours) before serving on civilian review boards – would severely limit ability to get good candidates to volunteer to review police misconduct. Crafted by the Arizona Police Association. CONTACT OUR HOUSE LEGISLATORS!
HB 2648 – OPPOSE – LGBTQ+ RIGHTS – Would make it discrimination to alter the tax treatment of a religious organization. This effectively prevents any adjustment in religious tax treatment even if the religious organization practices employment discrimination of its own against individuals based on sex, sexual orientation or gender identity. CONTACT OUR HOUSE LEGISLATORS!
HB 2427 – OPPOSE – EDUCATION – A Striker that revives SB 1685 that would remove attendance boundaries for schools. AZ already has generous open enrollment policies – this bill is unnecessary and destructive. CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!
SB 1783 – OPPOSE – EDUCATION -Would allow small businesses to use an alternative income tax that is estimated to cut the revenue raised by Prop 208 by $527 Million! CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!
SB 1452 – OPPOSE – EDUCATION – A huge expansion of the Educational Scholarship Assistance (ESA) voucher program to about 2/3 of all Arizona school children – it allows money to be taken from public schools and used for private schooling, among other things. Would drain Prop 208 funds! CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!
HB 2248 – OPPOSE – ENVIROMENT – Would prohibit the Corporation Commission from regulating critical electrical generation resources without legislative authorization! CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!
HB 2551 – OPPOSE – RESPONSIBLE GUN OWNERSHIP – Would allow anyone with concealed weapon permits to bring guns into libraries, community centers , public pools, state museums, the DMV, government offices, block parties, marches and street fairs – even if asked to turn over their firearms for storage!! Anyone can get a concealed weapon permit with no training! CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!
HB 2309 – OPPOSE – DEMOCRACY – This is an anti-protestor bill – making it a felony for violent or disorderly assembly – to be determined by the Police without oversight – clearly meant to discourage first amendment protests by groups the legislators don’t like. CONTACT OUR LEGISLATORS!!
ON OR NEAR THE GOVERNOR’S DESK
SB 1003 – OPPOSE – VOTER SUPPRESSION – Would restrict correcting errors on mail-in ballots to no later than 7 pm on Election Day! ASK GOV DUCEY TO VETO!
SB 1105 – OPPOSE – VOTER SUPPRESSION – Would increase the summary printed atop ballot measrues from 100 to 200 words – will make petitions more crowded with less room for signatures and is clearly a ploy to weaken citizen initiatives. ASK GOV DUCEY TO VETO!
SB 1459 – OPPOSE – ENVIRONMENT – Would subject the Corporation Commission to administrative review process – lawmakers are trying to weaken the Corp Commission and prevent it requiring state-regulated utilities to get 100% of their power from carbon-free sources by 2050. ASK GOV DUCEY TO VETO!
HB 2308 – OPPOSE – GOVERNANCE – Would make recall petitions vastly more difficult to circulate – by imposing “strict compliance” restrictions making it extremely easy to disqualify petitions on minor technical violations. ASK GOV DUCEY TO VETO!!
HB 2575 – OPPOSE – PUBLIC SAFETY – Would ban hospitals from denying clergy visitation rights, including during a pandemic, with no provision for infection control training, fit-testing personal protective equipment, self-quarantine after exposure or an acknowledgment of risks. ASK GOV DUCEY TO VETO!