Earlier this week, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer declared a “red alert” on health care. He said we are not doing enough. The phones are silent in Congress, he said.
This allows the Republicans, led by Mitch McConnell, to keep drafting their revisions to the “mean” House bill (to quote Trump) outside public view. Their goal is to pass a bill before their July 4th recess. Democrats and the public have no idea what’s in the Senate bill, or what the Republicans in the Senate are debating about their private bill, which will control over 20% of the U.S. economy. If you haven’t seen Senator Claire McCaskill’s challenge to this secrecy, watch it here.
The Arizona Democratic Party has endorsed House Bill 676 — a single-payor, Medicare-for-All bill — that has over 130 co-sponsors in Congress. Now it’s time for us to respond to the Red Alert.
- Call and write Congressman O’Halleran and ask him to join in sponsoring H.B. 676.
- Contact Senator McCain and Senator Flake: Demand that the Senate allow its committees to do their work in full view of the public. Remind them that this is how Obamacare was created, through public hearings where over 100 Republican amendments were incorporated into the bill.
- Affordable coverage for pre-existing conditions must remain.
- No “lifetime caps” on health insurance benefits
- Young people should continue to be insured on their parents’ policies until age 26.
- Rural hospitals and the Indian Health Service must be protected.
- Maternity coverage, which protects infants as well as women, must remain as an essential benefit.
- Medicaid expansion, which has provided care for seniors as well as low-income folks of all ages must continue.
- Remember: You’ll pay in higher premiums and hospital bills if these coverages go away.
It’s a red alert: Act Now!