This morning, Minority Senate Leader Chuck Schumer called for the Department of Justice to appoint a special prosecutor and called for an immediate closed-door briefing of all Senators by Attorney General Jeff Sessions and Deputy Attorney General Rob Rosenstein (who recommended Comey’s firing). WAPO
This morning we learned that in the days immediately before FBI Director Comey was fired, he had asked the Trump Administration for more resources to pursue the Russia/Trump investigation. Comey briefed members of Congress on his meeting with Rosenstein where he requested additional funds. Now the Justice Department is denying the request was made. NY Times.
Last night Senator Jeff Flake even tweeted, “I’ve spent the last several hours trying to find an acceptable rationale for the timing of Comey’s firing. I just can’t do it.”
Take Action today:
- Call and contact the Department of Justice and Demand the Appointment of a Special Counsel to investigate the firing of James Comey and to oversee the investigation of Russian interference in our Election.
- Department Comment Line: 202-353-1555
- Department of Justice Main Switchboard: 202-514-2000
- Fill out the contact form on the DOJ website
- Call and contact Senator McCain. Thank him for calling for an investigation. Then, demand that he introduce a bill authorizing a special commission. Here’s his contact info.
- Call and contact Senator Flake. Script: “In light of your tweet, demand a closed-door briefing of all Senators by the Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General.” Here is Senator Flake’s contact info.