With the deadline to move bills from their assigned committee gone, we thought we’d share a sample of what Republicans refused to hear in committee so far this year.
- A repeal of the “no promo homo” law, which would have allowed health education to be taught appropriately and stopped shaming LGBTQ youth.
- The Equal Rights Amendment, which would have made Arizona the 38th and final state to pass this constitutional amendment.
- Bills to fully fund public education in Arizona. (In fact, Republicans voted instead to take more money away from public education)
- Non-discrimination protections in employment and housing for the LGBTQ community.
- Multiple bills to expand voter protections, make it easier to register to vote, and make it easier to use your right to vote.
- House and Senate companion bills that would require schools to post the vaccination rate for their student body on the school’s website.
- Banning the harmful and inhumane practice of conversion therapy in Arizona.
This is why it’s so important to focus on down-ballot races — especially in a Presidential year when the media will be overpowering us with Presidential race news. That’s our job — will you help?