What's Behind these Calls to Action?
Organizations throughout the country are coordinating to resist reactionary elements in our nation. You can help to make that resistance effective by coordinating the timing of your calls, emails, and postcards with those of other activists. That's why we publish these Action Alerts. We are coordinating with Indivisible Project, Arizona House Democrats, the Arizona Democratic Party, Anne Schneider's Arizona Legislative Alerts, Together We Will Northern Arizona, the Southern Poverty Law Center, Sierra Club, and the ACLU, among others.
These are holding actions and we support and participate in them. To accomplish change, the most important thing you can do is stay informed and persuade everyone who supports progressive change to vote for Democrats in 2020. Make sure your neighbors and everyone you know is registered to vote, signed up for vote-by-mail, and actually votes. Don't wait, start now.
- RTS OPPORTUNITIES: SB1485 – Support – Puts a cap on tax credits for STO (Student Tuition Organization) tax credits. SB1099 – Support – “Patriotic” students bill – allows group access to schools HB2026 – Oppose – Muzzles Teachers SB1300 – Support – Low income housing program SB 1088 – Support – Provide dental coverage through […]
- The FCC ignored overwhelming public demands and rescinded the protections we need to keep the Internet free and fair. Finally, we have the National Net Neutrality legislation we’ve been waiting for! Tell your Representative and Senators to cosponsor the Save the Internet Act. We need this common sense bipartisan legislation The Save The Internet Act would restore the […]
- It’s a busy week in the legislature. Lots of bills will be on the floor of each House and there are important committee hearings, too. Make your voice heard by using Request to Speak or call or write your representatives whose contact info we provide below. USE RTS: HB 2125 – & SB 1242 – […]
- CONTACT AZ HOUSE REPRESENTATIVES: Bob Thorpe – BThorpe@azleg.gov 602-926-5219 Walt Blackman – WBlackman@azleg.gov 602-926-3043 HB 2609 – OPPOSE – Harquahala Non-Expansion Area: Groundwater Transfer. It allows landowners (private water investment companies) to extract water to a depth of 1500’ rather than the current limit of 1000’ and transport it to an active […]
- USE RTS (Request to Speak): HB 2186 – SUPPORT – Would outlaw actions that bring attention to students who are unable to pay for a school meal. HCR2005 – OPPOSE – Would ask voters to restrict initiative and referendum processes by requiring ballot measures to collect signatures from a percentage of voters in each of […]
- Republicans are chipping away at our right to vote. This week the AZ House Elections Committee will consider a bill to make it more difficult to early vote in person. SB 1072 is on the agenda for Tuesday’s House Elections committee. The bill would require identification at early voting centers. It passed out of the […]
- Louise Hublitz, former Executive Committee Member of the Coconino County Democratic Party More than three hundred feet above the floor of Chaco Canyon National Historic Park in New Mexico, the landscape radiates out in the 4 directions. It is a breathtaking site that still shows the signs of ancient roads carved into the hard earth […]
- Christa Sadler, 2nd vice chair of the ADP Environmental Caucus This week the last week to hear bills in committee in the house of origin, is referred to as “hell week,” due to the super long agendas with long lists of bills and strike-everything amendments and the meetings that drag into the night. Arizona’s state […]
- by Darrell Boomgaarden, Legislative Chair Lots going on so this will have to be brief. Use RTS (Request To Speak) Updates: SB 1320 – Oppose – transfer of ESA oversight to Treasury from Education – sponsored by D Livingston who’s wife ran unsuccessfully for superintendent of schools – a position now held by a […]
- USE Request to Speak or Contact Your Legislators by Email or Phone: SB1320 – Senate Finance Committee – Moves responsibility for Audits of ESA’s (Educations Scholarship Accounts) to the State Treasurer from the Department Of Education. Would significantly reduce the effectiveness of any audits done. OPPOSE SB1395 – Senate Finance Committee – Requires […]