Republicans are taking another run at “repeal and replace.” It must be stopped just like their attacks this summer on the ACA were stopped.
- The “Graham-Cassidy-Heller-Johnson” bill would radically change our health care system and cause millions to lose their health care coverage.
- The bill will hurt low and middle-income Americans. The Republican bill will not only gut Medicaid but also end subsidies and tax credits that currently help working Americans afford their premiums.
- Sick patients, who need affordable health care the most, could face higher insurance rates. This bill could raise premiums for sick Americans by allowing states to waive ACA policies that require insurers to cover all essential health benefits and protect patients with pre-existing conditions.
- Older Americans will be at risk under this new repeal bill. This new bill would allow states to charge different premiums depending on a patient’s age and would cut federal Medicaid funding that many older Americans rely on.
- The consequences for women’s health are flat-out dangerous. This bill defunds Planned Parenthood for a year, cuts protections for essential health services for women and could leave pregnant women without the guarantee of maternity coverage.
- Democrats believe health care is a right, not a privilege. And as Republicans try to take health care away from working families, Senate and House Democrats are working together to expand coverage for all Americans.
- Senator Sanders has introduced a bill for Medicare for All. We may quibble with the details of his particular plan, but we all agree that health coverage in this country should be universal. The Medicare for All bill cannot advance to committee work or passage until we elect more Democrats to Congress. Let’s work together to do that.
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/13/obamacare-repeal-bill-senate-242665